Prosecco can be more than simply an aperitif. While their fruity, very slightly off-dry flavour profile makes them enjoyable on their own or paired with appetizers and light desserts, they can also be matched with some thin crust pizza recipes, such as those topped with pesto. Toast mid-week with our recipe for Pesto, Chicken and Arugula Pizza matched with Prosecco.
Pesto, Chicken and Arugula Pizza
Prep time: More than 1 hour
Total time: Less than 3 hours
- 2 pizza dough (see Here’s How)
- 1 1/2 cups pesto
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 cups Parmesan, finely grated
- 2 cups cooked chicken breast, diced
- 2 cups cherry tomatoes, halved
- 3 to 4 cups baby arugula
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- Freshly cracked pepper, to taste
Directions: Preheat oven to 550°F. Place pizza dough (see Here’s How) on lightly greased pizza pans. Spread pesto evenly on each pizza dough. Drizzle each with equal amounts of olive oil. Top each with equal amounts of Parmesan cheese and chicken. Place on middle rack of oven* and bake for 8 to 10 minutes, or until the dough is a nice golden brown. Remove pizza from oven and top each with equal amounts of arugula and cherry tomatoes. Drizzle with balsamic vinegar and season with pepper to taste. Slice and serve.
*Depending on your oven size you may need to bake the pizza one at a time.
Tip: To save on time make the dough the night before. Keep refrigerated until ready to use.
Thin Crust Pizza Dough
1. Combine 4 cups sifted bread flour, 1 envelope instant dry yeast, 1 teaspoon sugar and 2 teaspoons salt in a bowl. Mix thoroughly. Add 2 tablespoons of olive oil and 1 1/2 cups of very warm water. Mix until it forms into a ball.
2. Grease a large bowl with additional olive oil. Cover with a moist towel and place in a warm area for 2 hours.
3. Remove dough from bowl. Cut into 2 equal pieces. Set on on a floured cutting board. Let rest. Roll into 2 8-inch disks, leaving outside 1-inch a little thicker than inside. Using your hands, gently stretch disk into 12-inch round.
We create a Northern Italian inspired dish to match Barbera.
- Ruffino Prosecco, Italy $19.99