Impress your guests with a creamy chicken liver pâté. It’s not only flavourful, but very easy to make. It makes a great accompaniment to a summer charcuterie board or serve it with crackers or slices of toasted baguette.
Chicken Liver Pâté
- 6 servings
- Prep Time: Less than 30 minutes
- Total Time: More than 3 hours
- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 1 lb chicken livers, trimmed
- 1 large shallot, minced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- Handful fresh thyme
- 3 large sage leaves
- Fresh chives, finely chopped (see Here’s How)
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1/8 tsp allspice
- 1/4 cup brandy or Cognac
Directions: Heat 1/4 cup butter in a skillet over medium heat. Add shallot, garlic and herbs (thyme, sage, bay leaf). Cook until soft, about 5 minutes. Turn up the heat, and then add the liver. Cook a few minutes per side but still pink in the center. Add the brandy and simmer for 1 minute. Remove the herbs. Add everything to a food processor. Blend. Add another 1/4 cup of butter and continue to purée until very smooth. Season to taste with salt and pepper. If desired, push through a fine mesh sieve. Pour into ramekins or a bowl. Garnish with fresh herbs, if desired. Heat the remaining butter in a small saucepan over medium low heat. Let stand a few minutes until the milk solids separate. Skim the top. Cover the top of the pâté with the clarified butter, leaving the milky solids in the pot. Chill until firm, at least 6 hours.
Here’s How: Chopped Chives
- Gather chives together on a flat surface and align so the ends form a straight line.
- Bind chives together with an elastic band.
- Using a very sharp knife, finely slice chives at the stems. As you approach the elastic, move the band further down the bunch. The elastic band holds the chives in place and keeps the chives tight making them easier to slice.
Kathy makes a unique and delicious version of Caprese Salad.
Sterling Vintners Collection Merlot, California $15.29