Kathy Jollimore|Cooking Class
This simple one pot dinner is brimming with the classic French combination of chicken and tarragon. I’ve used fingerling potatoes in this recipe but you can substitute with your favourite root vegetable. Make this meal complete by serving with a side salad. See our Here’s How for a simple herb vinaigrette recipe.
Tray Baked Tarragon Chicken
Prep Time: Less than 30 min
Total time: More than 1 hour
- 2 lb fingerling potatoes, halved
- 2 onions, peeled and quartered
- 3 heads garlic, outer leaves peeled and top sliced off
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 8 chicken pieces (legs and thighs)
- Handful fresh tarragon, chopped
Directions: Preheat oven to 375°F. Toss potatoes, onions and garlic with 2 tablespoons olive oil. Season with salt, pepper and some tarragon.
Rub chicken with remaining olive oil. Season with salt, pepper and tarragon. Place chicken pieces on top of vegetables. Bake until the vegetables are tender and chicken is golden brown and cooked through, approximately 1 to 1 1/2 hours.
Here’s How: Herb Vinaigrette
- Finely mince parsley
- Place 1 cup finely minced parsley, 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice, 1 tablespoon minced garlic and a teaspoon Dijon mustard in a bowl. Add 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar.
- Slowly whisk in 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
Occasions recommends: Georges DuBoeuf Beaujolais – Villages, France, $16.99
Next week: Kathy cooks up a pairing for a French Sauvignon Blanc.