Who says baking and beer don’t mix?
Last year for Christmas, I bought my mum an apron that, in proud letters embroidered on the front, says “I love cooking with beer. Sometimes I even put it in the food!” It’s a point on which she and I agree. With the weather we’re embarking upon, it’s time to think about gathering a group of girlfriends over for an evening of baking. I’ve included a couple of family favourite recipes and a delicious recipe for biscotti which — when adorned with different toppings — can become an ideal match to any number of beer styles.
BAKING, BEERS & BISCOTTI
Italy’s classic cookie is the perfect group baking activity for the holidays. Everyone can get involved and the cookies last well. Send guests home with gift bags full of the evening’s creations.
5 GREAT BAKED GOOD TOPPINGS
1. Toasted Coconut Great on just about anything, including both chocolate and vanilla flavoured cakes.
2. Ground Pistachios A delightful topping for lemony desserts and cakes topped with vanilla icing.
3. Crushed Oreo Cookies Crush chocolate cookies on top of chocolate based desserts. It offers a big yum factor!
4. Dried Fruit We love it on white chocolate based desserts and sprinkled on cakes with cream cheese icing.
5. Toasted Almonds Fantastic on pastries drizzled with honey or sprinkle over desserts topped with caramel sauce.